the Verdun Dragon Boat Club
Easy to Join
Verdun DBC is looking for active and committed men and women — paddling experience is not necessary. Verdun DBC members are of all ages. For a free a trial practice or for more information about joining Verdun DBC, please contact us using the form, below. We look forward to hearing from you.
The dragon boat racing season extends from the beginning of May to the end of September. The rest of the year, Verdun DBC's members improve their technique at indoor paddling facilities and train in the gym to keep up their fitness.
What We Look For
Dragon boat racing is a challenging and rewarding sport. We believe you will find paddling to be more positive experience if you:
- have at least an average level of fitness
- have good team spirit and a positive attitude
- are willing to follow coaching instruction and training programs
- commit to attending practices
- are available to travel to competitions four to five times a summer.
Membership in the Verdun Dragon Boat Club has its benefits:
- first-rate paddling instruction
- motivation to increase your fitness level
- participation in a top-level paddling club
- social events (cabane à sucre, barbeque, end-of-season party…)
- getting to know a lot of great people.
Thanks to ongoing fundraising efforts, participation in the Verdun Dragon Boat Club is generously subsidized. Nevertheless, members of Verdun DBC are asked to contribute towards the Club's general expenses. Typical Impact fees would include:
- indoor practices during the winter season ($210 for the five-month season)
- practices on the Lachine Canal during the outdoor season ($350 for the five-month season)
- team racing jersey ($50)
- travel and accommodation expenses for competitions in other cities only when warranted.
Paddles and lifejackets are provided, but you may eventually wish to buy your own (see Resources).